Doctors see many patients a day. The difference between the extraordinary doctor and the average doctor is not just in the skill, but in the ability to remember names and faces rather than medical problems. Rather than remember the gout, the extraordinary doctor remembers the woman anxious to be well again so that she may tend to her newborn baby. Rather than remember the broken bone, he remembers the man worried about losing his job. Names and people, that’s what Jesus was about.
- Pages and pages of the Bible are filled with just names and connections. It was a society that took names seriously. In that light, explain the psychological and spiritual implications of God changing Abram’s name to Abraham. Why did God go to great lengths in explaining the significance of His name? What difference did it make to His partners in the covenant relationship?
- In biblical times, with the change of a name often came a change in status. How can you apply this to what happens when you are born again? In what way does this change your status in front of God’s throne?
- Where we stand in God’s holy presence depends on our relationship with Him—on how intimately we know each other. God’s promises are His gestures of intimacy. What should be our response to Him?
- As Abraham traveled through strange and distant lands, his covenant with God was a source of encouragement and companionship. How so are God’s promises today? Share with the class your favorite promise and a time when that promise made the difference between success and failure in your spiritual growth.
- The Bible gives Jesus many titles. How do you identify yourself with Him? Pick a title that is most meaningful to you. Write down 10 reasons why you relate to that particular title of Christ. Share your reasons with the rest of the class as a witness of what Jesus means to you.
- How do you feel about Jesus knowing you intimately? He does not just know your name; He knows your every thought and even keeps track of every hair that you lose or that turns gray. Does this make you feel uncomfortable or secure? Explain. If there were one thing you could hide from Him, what would it be? Why?